Table of Contents
…control that will be integrated in the Coding4Fun Toolkit - FileExplorer!
You can download the Coding4Fun Toolkit source code here. Once downloaded, go to Experimental > FileExplorer. The sample project carries an alpha implementation of the control, and I would love to get your feedback on it - let me know what you want to see become a part of it.
NOTE: This custom control currently works only on Windows Phone 8.
The control will play the role of the standard Windows 8 FilePicker, but on Windows Phone. Its goal is to allow developers to provide an easy-to-use interface to interact with the isolated storage, as well as with the external storage in the context of native phone applications.
What can the control do at this point? #
- Pick a file from the isolated storage (no file format restrictions)
- Pick a file from the external storage, if such is available (restricted to files that have an extension registered with the app)
- Navigate through the folder tree in both the isolated storage and external storage (where available)
In its current implementation, I am using the control as a way to open files for read. No built-in functionality is introduced to facilitate writing at this point.
What do I have planned for the control? #
- File extension filter for files in the isolated storage (this can be both manifest-based and individual)
- Multi-file select (return a batch of files from one or different locations)
- Folder select
- Windows Phone 7.x support for isolated storage
Important disclaimer #
The control is in its alpha stage. DO NOT use it in production.